Peter Barnes | Romans 6:12-14
HOW SHOULD THE CHRISTIAN LIVE?
– 6:11 – think; 6:12 – do!
1. The Christian is not to live under the reign of sin.
– 6:12; see the changes in 1 Cor.6:9-11; Gal.5:19-21
– take active steps to not live under sin e.g. 1 Cor.15:33
2. A Christian is not under orders to sin but to God.
– 6:13; ‘instruments’ is translated as ‘weapons in John 18:3; 2 Cor.10:4
– Frances Ridley Havergal: ‘Take my life, and let it be/ Consecrated, Lord, to Thee’.
– Titus 2:14
3. A Christian is not under law but under grace.
– 6:14; F. F. Bruce misreads this and says: ‘According to Paul, the believer is not under law as a rule of life.’
– Paul is actually saying that the law gives no power to be holy (Rom.8:3; Gal.3:10); it is like an anchor not a lifeline in the surf.
– grace gives righteous power by means of the Holy Spirit (Jer.31:31-34; Ezek.36:26-27).
– Augustine: ‘Grace causes sin not to have power over you.’