Note: sermon audio delayed due to technical problems
Peter Barnes | Hebrews 1:1-4; 2:5-9
CHRIST AND THE ANGELS
Judges 6:11-27; Hebrews 1:1-4; 2:5-9
1. Christ is divine, above the angels.
– Heb.1:4-6, 13; the Angel of the Lord in the Old Testament is the Lord (Ex.3:2-4; Joshua 5:13-6:2; Judges 6:11, 14, 21-22)
– John 5:39
2. The Son of God became lower than the angels.
– Heb.2:9; Acts 17:25 but see Matt.4:11 and Luke 22:42-44
– Christ’s true humanity is seen in that He even desired human company (Matt.26:37-38) – like Aslan with Susan and Lucy before he was sacrificed.
3. Christ became lower than the angels that we might be raised above the angels.
– Christ is now above the angels again (1 Pet.3:22; Rev.5:11-12)
– the Christian is in Christ, and therefore above the angels (1 Cor.6:3; Eph.1:20-23; Rev.3:21)
– Christ as God is above the angels was made man and below the angels that sinners might be raised with Him and in Him and above the angels.