Peter Barnes | Ezekiel 28:11-19
THE FALL OF SOME ANGELS
Ezekiel 28:11-19; Revelation 12:1-17
There are thousands upon thousands of angels (P.68:17; Rev.5:11). Roger Ellsworth says they are mentioned 273 times in the Bible. People often see them as kind and non-judgmental.
1. Angels are created beings.
– Rev.19:9-10; 22:8-9; the angels worship God (Ps.148:1-2)
– the angels worship Christ (Heb.1:6)
2. Angels fell into sin before Adam did.
– Gen.3:1; whereas the world was originally very good (Gen.1:31)
– 2 Peter 2:4; about one-third of the heavenly host rebelled (Rev.12:4). Augustine guessed that this is the number of elect people.
– Isa.14:12-17 (king of Babylon) and Ezek.28:11-19 (king of Tyre) point to Satan’s proud rebellion.
3. The first sin was pride.
– see 1 Tim.3:6; ‘Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven’ says Satan in Milton’s Paradise Lost; but Satan is judged in hell (Rev.20:10).