Peter Barnes | Hosea 9:1-17
ISRAEL IN EXILE
Hosea 9:1-17; Numbers 25:1-9
– God promised Abraham a promised land and a great nation, but Israel has descended into idolatry and immorality (9:10). The glory has gone (9:11a, 12b).
1. Exile from the Promised Land.
– 9:1-6; in 9:3 Egypt is symbolic but Assyria is literal
– 9:7-8; either Israel has rejected the true prophets or Hosea is indicting the false prophets. Whichever way we understand it, God’s Word is being rejected. See Micah 3:5-8.
– 9:9; see Judges 19-21 for Gibeah
– the man of God is regarded as mad in 2 Kings 9:1-4, 6, 11; Jeremiah 29:24-26; Acts 26:24
2. No longer a great nation.
– 9:11-16; not like the sand on the shore or the stars in heaven or the dust of the earth.
3. A remnant remains.
– 9:17; note the ‘my God’ as in Isa.7:13; one man at least believes
– God can take away His Word (Amos 8:11-12)