Peter Barnes | Luke 2:19
MARY PONDERED THESE THINGS
– the highest of created beings (angels) with shepherds who were usually despised as lowly.
1. The unique birth.
– 2:4-5; Mary had been told back in 1:26-38
– in Bethlehem (note Micah 5:2)
2. The baby who is the Saviour, the Messiah, and the Lord.
– the Saviour saves from sin, death, and judgment; the Christ is the Messiah, the anointed one – prophet, priest, and king in one; the Lord has the same name as God (Luke 1:68; 2:9) and rules over all.
3. The declaration of God’s glory and peace to His people.
– 2:10, 14
– begins with glory to God, then with peace with God’s people (Luke 19:42; Col.1:20)