Peter Barnes | Romans 1:18
THE WRATH OF GOD
Romans 1:18-3:20 prepares the ground for Romans 3:25-26
1. God’s wrath is revealed in history.
– the Four Spiritual Laws begin with ‘God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life.’ That is precisely where Paul does not begin.
– there is a wrath to come (Rom.2:5, 8; 9:22; Acts 17:31; 1 Thess.1:10)
– but this is referring to wrath on earth e.g. in Noah’s day, at the tower of Babel, in the exile
– for individuals see Ps.32:3-4
2. God’s wrath is against all ungodliness and unrighteousness.
– Calvin sees no distinction, but vv.21-23 deal with idolatry and vv.24-32 with immorality of one kind or another
– Jesus sees two great commandments (Mark 12:28-31)
– the story is not just one of wrath (e.g. Matt.5:43-48; Acts 14:15-17) but note Psalm 7:11
3. Sinners suppress the truth.
– e.g. John 5:44; 8:47
– e.g. Rousseau, Freud, Margaret Mead, Bertrand Russell, Richard Dawkins; all of us try to justify ourselves.