Peter Barnes | Hosea 4:7-19
LIKE PEOPLE, LIKE PRIEST
Hosea 4:7-19; Galatians 6:1-10
Because of the priests, sin is spiralling out of control.
1. The priests have come to thrive on sin.
– 4:7-9; the more priests, the more sacrifices, and the more sin (cf. Lev.6:25-26); like a dentist investing in a fairy floss company
– God will punish priests and people for their deeds (4:9)
2. The emptiness of idolatry and immorality.
– 4:10-11 – no satisfaction
– 4:12-13 – folly of consulting the stars or a stick or the entrails of a chicken
– idolatry and immorality usually go together (Jer.3:6; 1 Cor.10:7-8); applies to both sexes (Hosea 4:14)
3. A warning to avoid apostates.
– 4:15-19 – directed to Judah; Israel is beyond redemption
– cf. 1 Kings 22:41-44 and 2 Chron.19:1-3 for Jehoshaphat.