Peter Barnes | 3 John 5-8
(3 John 5-8)
1. We ought to be faithful in supporting missionaries.
– vv.5-6; inns in the ancient world had a bad reputation; hence the increased need to show hospitality (Matt.10:42; 25:34-40)
– this was how Paul was supported (Acts 16:15; 17:7; 21:8, 16; Rom.16:23)
– for the sake of the name (v. 7; see Acts 5:41; 9:16), the name which is above every other name
2. We ought to be wary of accepting help from unbelievers.
– v.7; note Matt.10:8b
– 2 Cor.8:5 (to the Lord first); 2 Cor.12:14-15 (not yours but you)
3. We ought to work together in missions.
– v.8; Paul refers to ‘co-workers’ some 12 times in his epistles (e.g. Rom.16:3)
– we are not to support false teachers (2 John 11)
– we are to support genuine Christians (Matt.10:41); in William Carey’s words, we are rope-holders as the missionary goes down the gold mine.