Peter Barnes | 3 John 1-4
REJOICING IN BLESSING
(3 John 1-4)
– 3 John is the shortest book in the New Testament. It is written to Gaius, which is perhaps the most common name in the Roman Empire (probably not the Gaius in Rom.16:23 or 1 Cor.1:14 or Acts 19:29 or Acts 20:4.
1. We are to be concerned with one another’s physical and spiritual health.
– vv.1-2; see too 1 Tim.5:23
– not just preaching the gospel in Luke 10:25-37 but showing kindness
2. We are to love in the truth and to walk in the truth.
– vv.1, 3; like Titus 2:10
– see Phil.2:5-11 – not just the truth about Christ’s humility, but we are to imitate that humility.
3. We are to rejoice when others walk in the truth.
– vv.3-4; 1 Thess.2:7, 11; 3:1-10; in others, not in himself
– joy in John 1:4; 2 John 4