Peter Barnes | 2 John 10-13
MEETING FACE TO FACE
(2 John 10-13)
– concludes with some practical steps
1. We are to have no fellowship with heretics.
– vv.10-11; we are to show hospitality (Heb.13:2; Rom.12:13; 1 Pet.4:9)
– not against having a Buddhist exchange student or discussing the gospel with a Jehovah’s Witness over a cup of tea; churches met in houses (Rom.16:5; 1 Cor.16:19; Col.4:15; Philemon 2)
– Titus 3:10-11; Rom.1:32; Polycarp to Marcion: ‘I recognise you as the first-born of Satan.’
2. We are to be personal if possible.
– v.12; meet if possible in almost all circumstances unless there is a danger of being led into sin; church on TV is for the most part not really church
3. We should fellowship with Christians.
– v.13; contrast to v.10
– one elect congregation to another