Peter Barnes | Jude 24-25
THE JUDE BENEDICTION
– it is not clear whether verse 24 refers to God or Christ.
1. God is able to keep us from falling.
– vv.24a, 1, 21; see Psalm 37:23-24; Jer.32:40; 2 Tim.1:12.
– see also Luke 22:31-32
2. God is able to present us to Himself faultless and with great joy.
– v.24; God or Christ presents His people before the presence of His glory in two ways.
(a) His people are faultless. Eph.5:25-27; 2 Cor.5:21; then 1 John 3:2
(b) God presents us with great joy. There is great joy in heaven over every convert (Luke 15:10), but probably Jude is referring mostly to our joy (Matt.25:21, 23).
3. To God belongs glory, majesty, dominion and power forever.
– v.25; 1 Chron.29:10-13. Thomas Manton: ‘the majesty of God, in comparison of which all earthly grandeur is but the dream of a shadow.’
– His is the glory (Ps.115:1; 2 Cor.4:6), the majesty (Neh.9:5), the power (Ps.115:3) and the authority (see Matt.28:18); the song of all the earth (Ps.72:18-19) of heaven (Rev.5:13).
– contending for the faith leads to worship before the glory of God.