Note: no sermon audio available
Peter Barnes | Jude 12-15
FALSE TEACHERS EXPOSED
– grace is being turned into immorality (vv.3-4)
1. False teachers are within the church.
– v.12; the Lord’s Supper either was the love feast or part of the love feast (note 1 Cor.11:21-22, 23 which refer to a meal, not a token meal)
– like Simon Magus and his baptism (Acts 8:9-13, 17-24)
– the sacraments are commanded by God but they do not save
2. False teachers are empty.
– vv.12-13; Charles Spurgeon warns against using too many images at once. Jude uses six!
– blemishes (the word could mean ‘reefs’ or ‘rocks’); selfish shepherds (Ezek.34:2-4); empty clouds (in a hot climate); fruitless trees; waves carrying rubbish; wandering stars
– all like Prov.25:14
3. False teachers will be judged.
– vv.14-15; from the Book of Enoch which is not in the Bible, but Enoch is in Genesis 5:21-24
– see Isa.66:15-16; Matt.13:41