Peter Barnes | Jude 5-7
THE SINS OF THE FALSE TEACHERS
– grace is being turned into immorality (vv.3-4)
1. God has judged unbelieving covenant people.
– v.5; repeats what they should know (Phil.3:1)
– e.g. Ex.32:1-4; Num.25:1-3; hence Ex.32:26
– not all Israel is Israel; not all the church is the church (Rom.9:6; Heb.3:12, 19; Rev.2:20-21; 3:15-19); summed up in 1 Cor.10:1-12.
2. God has judged disobedient angels.
– v.6; the fall of angels before Genesis 3; some relate it to Gen.6:1-3 but the sons of God there may be kings or believers
3. God has judged the sexually immoral.
– v.7; see Gen.19; Thomas Manton in 1658: ‘What have we to do with Sodom?’ but Kristina Keneally in 2010: ‘Jesus loves all. He accepted all.’ Premier Keneally turns grace into immorality.
– what God did to Sodom and Gomorrah is a picture of hell (Rev.19:20; 20:10; 21:8)