Note: no sermon audio available
Peter Barnes | Judges 20
– recall the outrage at Gibeah (19:22, 25-30)
1. We love to appear more virtuous than we are.
– 20:1-3 – huge gathering of Israelites at Mizpah, and the Levite speaks in verses 4-7
– he portrays himself as the victim and omits his sins; like Aaron in Exodus 32:24 and unlike David in Psalm 51:3-4
2. A misplaced loyalty can blind us.
– 20:8-11 – the Israelites decide to act against Gibeah; like 1 Cor.5:13
– 20:12-14 – but the Benjamites rally around their own people; Prov.18:15; sin may be in your own family, own circle of friends, or own denomination.
3. Sin has woeful effects on God’s people.
– 20:21, 25, 35, 46-48
– a tribe in Israel is almost destroyed by sin, and the failure to deal with it biblically.