Peter Barnes | Judges 19
What happens when God’s people become spiritually corrupt?
1. Initial signs of decline.
– 19:1-3 – marriage breakdown, and the Levite takes four months to do anything about it
– maybe too much hospitality with the father-in-law, and then a lack of hospitality from the people of Gibeah.
2. Rampant homosexuality.
– 19:22; like Gen.19:4-5 (but Sodom was pagan!); Chuck McIlhenny’s When the Wicked Seize a City
3. Fearful moral cowardice.
– 19:23-25; prepared to do anything to save his own hide
4. Hardened callousness.
– 19:26-28; the Levite slept while the outrage was committed on his concubine.
– 19:29-30 (like 1 Sam.11:1-7 but that concerned oxen, not a human being); was both a summons and a threat; remembered in Hosea 9:9; 10:9.