Peter Barnes | Ezekiel 37:1-14
REVIVAL FROM THE DEAD
Ezekiel 37:1-14; Romans 8:1-11
– revival which points to resurrection
1. The spiritual condition of Israel.
– 37:1-3 – see Deut.28:25-26; Jer.34:17-20
– J. Gresham Machen: ‘Nothing kills true prayer like a shallow optimism.’
– Eph.2:1; but God can raise the dead (Deut.32:39; 1 Sam.2:6)
2. The two means of revival.
(a) the Word of God (37:4-8a); George Whitefield: ‘I love those that thunder out the Word. The Christian world is in a deep sleep!’
(b) the operation of the Holy Spirit (37:8b-10); without the Spirit, the Word meets with hostility (e.g. John 6:65-66; Acts 17:32)
3. Life from the dead.
– 37:11-14; two stages as in Gen.2:7
– Rom.8:11; the Spirit gives life here and hereafter