Peter Barnes | Ephesians 6:18
‘EACH PIECE PUT ON WITH PRAYER’
– George Duffield: ‘Put on the gospel armour,/ Each piece put on with prayer’. The word ‘all’ or ‘every’ is found 4 times in verse 18.
1. We are to pray all kinds of prayers.
– adoration (Neh.9:5-6); confession of sin (Ps.38:1-5), thanksgiving (Luke 17:12-18); and requests, even for our daily bread.
– Isaac Ambrose: ‘When a man indeed draws nigh to God in prayer, he forgets prayer, and remembers God.’
2. We are to pray at all times.
– 1 Thess.5:17; this is in the Spirit (Rom.8:26-27; Jude 20)
– while washing the dishes or mowing the lawn
3. We are to pray with all perseverance.
– Luke 18:1; Isa.62:6-7; 1 Sam.12:23
4. We are to pray for all the saints.
– Christ’s dominion is world-wide (Ps.72:8-11), so our prayer concerns are to be as wide. Even Paul asked for prayer for himself (Eph.6:19-20)