Peter Barnes | Ephesians 6:16-17
FAITH, SALVATION AND THE WORD
– these are all to do with the head (the understanding)
1. Take up the shield of faith.
– 6:16; this was a large shield (four feet by two and a half feet)
– Satan fires his temptations, but note Gen.15:1; Prov.30:5; 1 Sam.17:45-47; 1 John 5:4.
2. Take the helmet of salvation.
(a) imagine a Jew being tempted to go back to Judaism e.g. Heb.10:23, 35-39. The answer is in Heb.7:26-27; 10:1-4.
(b) imagine becoming envious of the wicked e.g. Ps.73:1-3. The answer is in Ps.73:16-17 and leads to Ps.73:25-28.
3. Take the sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God.
– 6:17b. Note Matt.4:1-11; Heb.4:12.
– Ps.1:1-3; 119:11; 1 John 2:14; here the armour, but there the robes of glory.