Peter Barnes | Ephesians 6:10-13
THE NATURE OF SPIRITUAL WARFARE
– it is a war, not a picnic.
1. Be strong in the Lord.
– 6:10, 13; Solomon’s sin in 1 Kings 11:1-4 is more from weakness than maliciousness.
– William Gurnall: ‘cowards never won heaven’; hence Josh.1:9; 2 Chron.32:7; Neh.6:5-11
– not in our strength (2 Cor.12:9)
2. Be aware of the nature of the conflict.
– 6:11-12; Goliath did not take David seriously (1 Sam.17:43-44)
– Dan.10:12-13, 20.
3. Be aware of the schemes of the devil.
– 6:11; same word in Eph.4:14; note 2 Cor.2:10-11
(a) we can mix truth up with error (Gen.3:1-5);
(b) evil can appear as good (Matt.4:5-7; 2 Cor.11:13-15);
(c) Satan can even use our good intentions (Matt.16:21-23);
(d) Satan loves to play upon our pride (1 Chron.21:1)