Peter Barnes | Ephesians 6:1-3
THE RESPECT OF CHILDREN FOR PARENTS
– Dick Lucas: ‘Disobedient children are one of the more disagreeable and alarming signs of decay in a Christian culture.’
1. Obey and honour your parents.
– Absalom’s rebellion is all the worse because it is against his own father (2 Sam.15-18)
– Jonathan disobeys Saul but honours him (1 Sam.19:1-4; 20:30-34)
– Luke 2:51; John 19:26-27
2. Our motives for honouring our parents.
– it is ‘in the Lord’, what Christ demands of us
– it is right; there is real decay when it is not followed (2 Tim.3:1-2)
– it comes with the general promise of life; Prov.10:27)
3. The Promised Land is now the world.
– 6:3 is citing but also modifying Ex.20:12; the Promised Land is now all the earth.