Peter Barnes | Ephesians 5:25-33
THE LOVING LEADERSHIP OF THE HUSBAND
– not rule well, but love (vv.25, 28, 33).
1. The husband is to love sacrificially.
– 5:25; love gives (Eph.5:2); the hymn-writer Philip Bliss in 1876 lost his life in a train wreck, while trying to rescue his wife.
2. The husband serves his wife in a holy way.
– 5:26-27; definitive sanctification like Heb.10:10 or progressive sanctification?
– Christ does not love those who earned His love (Rom.5:6, 8, 10)
– washing is possibly the bridal bath rather than baptism (Ezek. 16:9-14)
3. The husband cares for his wife as for himself.
– 5:28-30; like Matt.7:12, very practical; 1 Cor.11:11
4. The husband loves his wife exclusively.
– love for all in Matt.5:44-46 but not here; this is Christ’s love for His people reflected in the husband’s love for his wife.