Peter Barnes | Ephesians 5:22-24
THE SUBMISSION OF THE WIFE
– male and female are created in the image of God (Gen.1:27), equal in sin (Rom.5:12-21) and equal in salvation (Gal.3:28) but an equality of worth and being goes with an inequality in role and function.
1. Wives are to submit to their husbands.
– 5:22, 24, 33; we are to submit to one another (5:21), to the government (Rom.13:1) and Jesus submitted to Joseph and Mary (Luke 2:51).
– even if the husband is not a Christian (1 Pet.3:1), ‘even if they’re dolts’ (Sancho Panza’s wife in Don Quixote)
2. This submission covers every area of life.
– 5:24; in terms of extent, not degree (Charles Hodge); note Acts 5:29
– Abigail disobeyed Nabal and did not sin (1 Sam.25); Saphhira obeyed Ananias and did sin (Acts 5:1-11)
3. This submission is to be in Christ.
– 5:22-23; Col.3:18