Peter Barnes | Ephesians 5:21
FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT OF THANKFUL SUBMISSION
– 5:18-21 is one sentence! To be filled with the Spirit is to be speaking, singing, and making music to the Lord, giving thanks to the Father, and submitting to one another.
1. We are always to give thanks to God the Father.
– 5:20; the Israelites grumbled in the desert.
2. We are to submit to one another.
– 5:21; Peter O’Brien says that this is not mutual but is preparing for his treatment of the submission of wives, children and slaves in 5:22; 6:1, 5
– Calvin says that it is mutual and that even in government there is subjection
– hence Mark 10:45; Luke 22:25-26; Rom.12:10; Gal.5:13; Phil.2:3; 1 Pet.5:5-6.
– unlike the bad advice in 1 Kings 12:6-11; there is service in Christian leadership
3. We are to be motivated by the fear of Christ.
– the Spirit-filled Christian is the Christ-driven Christian