Peter Barnes | Ephesians 5:18-20
FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT
– 5:18-21 is one sentence! To be filled with the Spirit is to be speaking, singing, and making music to the Lord, as well as giving thanks and submitting to one another.
1. Do not be drunk with wine.
– 5:18; could be thinking of the cult of Dionysius, but also Acts 2:13-15; Psa.104:14-15 and Prov.23:29-35
– Luke 15:13 for prodigal living; 1 Cor.6:9-10; Gal.5:19-21
2. Be filled with the Spirit.
– the Father fills (3:19), as do the Son (4:10) and the Spirit (5:18)
– already sealed with the Spirit (1:13; 4:30) and with access to the Father through the Son by the Spirit (2:18).
– sometimes the Spirit simply fills the believer (e.g. Acts 4:31; Luke 1:67; Acts 4:8; 13:9) but in Eph.5:18 we are told to act.
3. Sing to the Lord with cheerful voice.
– 5:19; to Christ (note Col.3:16 and Rev.5:12-13); 1 Cor.2:15; 3:1 does not mean ‘inspired like the apostles’
-1 Cor.14:26 (Psalm); Acts 16:25 (hymn); Rev.5:9 (song); Calvin sees no difference; Ps.5:11