Peter Barnes | Ephesians 5:8-14
Walking as Children of Light
1. The unbeliever is darkness, the believer is light.
– 5:8; see 2 Cor.4:3-6; 1 Pet.2:9
– Christ is light (John 8:12), so we are to be light (Matt.5:14)
2. What we do with darkness.
(a) Have nothing to do with darkness (5:11-12; see John 16:15-16; 1 Cor.5:9-11; James Dobson on Pornography Commission; C. S. Lewis writing Screwtape Letters).
(b) Expose the darkness (5:11b; see Mark 6:17-20)
(c) The darkness may possibly be converted (5:12-14; verse 14 is probably referring to Isa.26:19; 60:1)
– 1 Cor.14:24-25; John 3:19-21; John Newton to William Jay about one possible convert.
3. Bearing the fruit of light.
– 5:9-10 (goodness, righteousness, truth, and what pleases the Lord); story from R. Kent Hughes about Corrie ten Boom’s father in his Dutch watch-repair shop
– Phil.1:9-11; Prov.4:18-19